Sunday, April 4, 2010

Strokes of Genius


I take a lot of photographs. I have created slide shows for my students to share with them the wonder of color, line and form. It is to teach them to see. It is not a simple task, as many of them have never taken the time to explore up close what is around them. I had taken a series of photos of vegetables at the Portland Farmers Market. My own children saw the variety of colors and forms before them and were in awe. My students were blown away by the richness of color and the cornucopia seen as images on a screen. I have taken flowers for still-life projects, and encouraged students to go eye to stamen to really see the details. Besides the touch of pollen on their noses, they were engaged by the details. This photo of a resident bluebonnet reminds me of the beauty in the details. The simple wonder of what lies just beyond our doorstep, and when we really look, the wonder of that stroke of genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment